Sunday, August 7, 2011

After the storm

I've got a photographer coming to shoot my garden tomorrow, so today was a day of frenzied activity interspersed with heavy showers. I can't garden when it's raining hard - I've nothing against getting wet, but my glasses aren't fitted with wipers. So when the sky turned black, I got in the car and headed for the tip
Eventually, I got almost everything that needed doing done, and nearly all the rubbish disposed of, thanks to my son who helped me heave it all into the car. I've still got a few odds and ends to sort out, but basically, things look OK.
At least, they will look OK until the photographer gets here, at which point I shall notice a large strand of bindweed waving about, and a plant that I forgot to pot up, and a bunch of dead leaves in the pond, and ... several other things, I daresay.

I love the light after a storm. I nearly fell down the step rushing out into the garden to photograph these cannas while a single ray of sun shone down on them.

Shooting into the sun. I quite like the misty effect you get.

The shadow of the cordyline on the lawn looks like something out of Sesame Street - Big Bird, perhaps.

If you don't look too closely, my hostas still look OK. That's a canna in the front, helping the illusion along.

My bargain Washingtonias from Homebase. I love the way the light shines through their leaves.

Eucomis, pelargoniums and Carex oshimensis 'Evergold'

Every time I see this colour combination, I want to wolf-whistle. It is just so outrageous.

Fabulous year for the campsis. Some years it doesn't flower at all - it needs a long season of warm weather to get up to speed. The hot weather we had in spring must have helped it on its way. It's got loads of buds.

More eucomis. I don't know what variety they are - they're pass-along plants from my neighbour Ruth - as are some of the red-leaved cannas. I don't know what she does to eucomis, but hers always look spectacular, so I was delighted when she gave me a clump.