Thursday, September 11, 2008

A garden portrait


I thought I'd share this illustration with those of you who can't or don't get The Independent. It's by Emma Brownjohn, who illustrates my column, City Life, which appears on Wednesdays in the Property section. I've never met Emma, but we communicate electronically and I sometimes send her photographs of things I'm writing about, so that she has a visual reference.
This is her interpretation of my garden open day. That's me in the foreground, in a flowery dress and white trousers. Emma has managed to make me look tall and slim, with sleek hair that never frizzes. This takes true artistry, I can assure you.
I feel very privileged to have her work accompanying my column as she always seems to take such enormous pains to interpret whatever I'm wittering on about.
Emma graduated from Camberwell College of Art in London in 1992 and her work includes paintings and murals as well as illustrations. You can find out more about her and see some of her work here.
She's also currently having an exhibition entitled Following Rivers. at the Ingo Fincke gallery, 24 Battersea Rise, London SW11 (www.ingofincke.com), from 10.30am to 5.30pm until 17 September, and she'll be at the Brighton Art Fair from Friday 19 September to Sunday 21 September.