Sunday, June 22, 2008

Tagged!

I've been tagged by Melissa at Garden Portraits. Thanks, Melissa, I was beginning to feel left out!

This is what you do:

* Link to the person who tagged you.
* Post the rules on the blog.
* Write six random things about yourself.
* Tag six people at the end of your post.
* Let each person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.
* Let the tagger know when your entry is up.

Here are six random things about me:

I. I am named after a monk. My mother taught at Worth, which is a Benedictine boarding school, just after she graduated from art college. The head of the monastery was called Father Victor (later Abbot Victor, when Worth became an abbey). My mother loved Worth, which is a beautiful place deep in the Sussex countryside.

2. I have a twin sister, who is unidentical - so unidentical that, at a university reunion once, some people didn't even realise we knew each other, let alone were related. My twin is called Alexandra, but is always known as Sasha. She is older than me by half an hour and as the eldest, she was the one who was supposed to be Victoria. However, there was a bit of a kerfuffle during the baptism, because the priest felt that Victoria and Alexandra did not technically qualify as 'Christian' names (ie they're not the names of Catholic saints and they're not in the Bible). After a hasty discussion, my parents tagged on Anne and Mary, but during the panic, we were swapped over. I ended up as Victoria Anne and my sister is Alexandra Mary. So she's not only Sasha, but Sasha Masha. My parents went to Russia when we were six months old (babies? what babies?) on some sort of cultural exchange trip and that's where they got the idea for a pet name that I would be able to pronounce.

3. My earliest gardening memory is creating a little house in a tangle of collapsed wisteria at the end of our garden. (I think I was about 16 before I realised that most normal people train their wisteria up a wall.) As a child, I was a huge fan of Alison Uttley's Little Grey Rabbit books, and in my wisteria house, I used to pretend I was Little Grey Rabbit bustling about in the kitchen.

4. I'm not crazy about the colour blue. I love it on flowers, but not in my home, or on my clothes, or shoes, or sports kit, or in my kitchen or bathroom. Sadly, the rest of the world appears to believe that every woman loves blue. (This is beginning to sound like some sort of philosophical paradox: A. Does this make me not a woman? B. Or is the rest of the world wrong? I go for B. Every time.)

5. I am qualified to teach piano, but I never have. The mere thought of having to teach anyone anything makes me want to lie down in a darkened room. My daughter says this is probably very good news for the world's music pupils.

6. I've spent nearly half my life in Scotland. I support Scotland at football and rugby, but England at cricket. Seems only fair.

Stacy at Florida Backyard

Kate at The Manic Gardener

Mrs Be at Carrots and Kids

Rach at The Big Sofa

Marie at Cote Jardin

Jo at The Impecunious Gardener