Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Woohoo, spring is here!

According to my friend Geraint Smith, former science editor of the Evening Standard, today is not really the first day of spring. He argues that it is 1 March, St David's Day (he's Welsh, needless to say), and that the season of spring consists of the months of March, April and May. The date of 20 March marks the vernal equinox, he says, not the start of spring. A not unreasonable argument.
Whatever, we all know that there have been signs of spring in the garden for a few weeks now. My cherry tree is in blossom, the Clematis armandii is in full floriferous regalia and you can almost hear the sap rising.

(Of course, most of the C. armandii is growing along the top of the fence and up other people's trees. I've never known an armandii that wanted to flower in its own garden. If you're thinking of getting one, plant it next door!)

There is frogspawn in the pond (sorry about the quality of the picture)

The euphorbia is shaking out its fresh lime-green flowers in competition with the cherry blossom. There's sunshine. There's birdsong. And there's ... the sound of lawnmowers and leaf-blowers and pressure washers. Time to go back indoors.

11 comments:

Mark and Gaz said...

It doesn't matter which date they say the first day of spring is, it's all formality. What's important is it feels like spring, yay!

Adventurous Gardens - Ben Candlin said...

It's a wonderful time of year for sure!

I sympathise with the noise of all that garden machinery though. Living where we do, in a small village in Devon, you'd think that it would be easy to enjoy a quiet weekend in the garden. If only!

Tiina said...

Oh you lucky londoners:)My daughter lives there too and this morning she had a picture of a fabulous blooming magnolia in fb...We have still lots and lots of snow here in north Finland but yes indeed,it is vernal equinox today,spring is on its way:)
Have a lovely week in your beautiful garden.

Gardeningbren said...

For me, spring is when I see the first Osprey fly over, or the song sparrows arrive, the robins and the crocus. Yes, it's spring, Hallelujah!

Your garden is just beautiful!

petoskystone said...

Yea for spring! Still don't trust the weather enough to sit out seedlings, though....

Fairegarden said...

It is all wonderful, Victoria! I agree with your friend, spring starts March 1. Your garden looks so inviting. I hope you are spending quality time out there!
xoxoxo
Frances

patientgardener said...

For me spring starts at the beginning of March but only if the daffodils are flowering. I tend to go by the feel rather than some prescribed date

All happening here and I'm loving discovering old friends reappearing

Lea said...

Yes, Spring comes sooner than the official start time. However, Winter sometimes pokes its head in one last time (sometimes as late as April) before leaving!
Happy gardening!
Lea
Lea's Menagerie

The All Seasons Gardener said...

For me, the first day of spring is marked by the annual bickering between OH and yours truly about whether or not we should take the fleece off the broad bean seedlings ... but yes, the tulips are blooming, the birds are scouting for nests and the lawnmowers have begun their mating calls!

Arabella Sock said...

I heard the annoying tinny chimes of first ice cream van of the year today.. :(

EB said...

I think is really odd that we have a First Day Of Spring - we don't do the same with any of others, so far as I know. And spring of all seasons seems to be very prima-donna-ish about its timing. I remember one year it was so late we had daffodils, tulips and wisteria all out at once (well we didn't, I haven't got 2 out of 3 of those, but I did see them around).