Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Projects? Moi?

One of the things I love about gardening blogs is reading people's plans for the future. For a start, it's a great opportunity to stick one's nose into other people's business, rather than getting on with one's own affairs. Even better, you can make grandiose suggestions, in a manner that suggests (erroneously) that you know what you're talking about, without ever having to worry that you will be called upon to put these plans into effect.
There are lots of these projects to look at. Personally,  I've been enthralled by how Patientgardener is going to cope with her sloping plot. I've envied VP's plans for asparagus and vertical gardening. I've pondered Racquel's problematic front garden bed and driveway.
So do I have any projects of my own? Nope. The cold is slowly taking its toll and I really don't want to think about what is happening outside. I feel as if I'm huddled in a bunker, with my fingers in my ears, waiting for the all-clear to sound.
I do go out in the garden, of course, to put out bird food, but I avert my eyes from the Hyperborean havoc. I'm planning to emerge properly some time in May, at which point I will hopefully feel the sun on my neck and be able to cope philosophically with the fall-out from weeks of frost. Will I still have any bananas? Will I ever dare grow Ensete ventricosum 'Maurellii' again? Will the smallest tree fern pull through? And what about my lovely chlorophytum? And my cannas? I'll let you know, but I don't think it will be any time soon.

13 comments:

flowergardengirl said...

Awwww, here's some warm Carolina breezes your way. We had 60 today and that's pretty warm for NC.

IBOY said...

Oh good, I'm glad you posted this... I think a frog pond with a little island in the middle of it would look spiffy in your back yard!
:o) don

Lucy Corrander said...

Perhaps, in the winter, Blotanical could switch to being a 'sitting around directory' where members would swap ideas about how to be cosy indoors.

It would add extra hemispherical interest too!

Lucy

patientgardener said...

I am waiting to see if my Geranium madrense pulls through. I leave in the morning before it its light enough to see it and get home when its dark so I will have to wait until the weekend to see if it is OK.

Gary said...

Just been out into the frozen wastes and found I still have lettuce in my greenhouse (No not iceberg!). At least this weather should wipe out some of the pests out there.

Sylvia (England) said...

Victoria, we haven't had it this cold for a long time, I recorded -10C in my garden this week. I had got used to mild winters with only a few frosts and so had the plants. I am sure you will be out in the garden before May once spring arrives and the bulbs start flowering you will not be able to resist!

Best wishes Sylvia

VP said...

Of course plans and delivery are 2 very different things! I suspect my plans will turn out to be a complete work of fiction, but it's always good to start with the best of intentions ;)

I've decided that my tree fern is an experiment at the moment. I've not wrapped it up for winter, so let's see if it lives up to the antarctica part of its name!

tina said...

Very well said! Blogging is wonderful for ideas from others and as you said, a way to express our own ideas-just ideas not professional you know:)

emmat said...

I'm hoping the canna roots are still okay. So far the dead in my garden include most of a [large] money tree, but it's a credit crunch so what did i expect?; and an aeonium and a cutting from it that had been doing really well. Everything else looks as if it might survive so far - including a swiss cheese plant which is sitting under a tree by the compost bin happily resisting cold against all probability.

easygardener said...

Today I took action - I covered my Agave - about three weeks too late. This will no doubt signal a rise in temperatures and my efforts will have been a waste of time!
Planning is not my strong point but I do like reading about other people's projects.

Jan (Thanks For 2 Day) said...

Maybe it's time to get some indoor plants and focus on those for a while??!

The sun is going to come out soon...it always does:)

Take care:)
Jan

*The word verification is: balsie
hee hee:)

islandgal246 said...

Hey Victoria I'm sending you some warm wishes for the New Year. I complain about our early mornings being chilly (about 25 degrees celsius) I have been in London for Christmas many years ago but it was warmish. I have never seen snow only on the telly or the net, so I can only imagine it to be like the frost in the deep freezer I had to clean out recently. And that was cold for me to handle.LOL But I loved dressing up in winter clothing when I was in Europe.

citybumpkin said...

I feel exactly the same way at the moment! Last year I was really inspired in January, but this year it's just too darn cold out! Fingers crossed the sun will come out soon and then I can start looking at seed catalogues again... xxx